Friday, October 7, 2011

SmartBoard Technology in the Montessori Classroom

Ok, I am being naughty and typing directly on my phone during a SmartBoard presentation at my school. I will be honest that I just do not see the benefits of having such technology in the 3-6 classroom.

I have been told that it is okay because the SmartBoard is manipulative. Yes, it is manipulative. You can move it. But Montessori is more than just manipulation. Maria Montessori emphasized th e tactile part of learning. The child needs to feel the contours of the edges of a shape to understand what differentiates a square from a circle. Just pulling one from a menu and describing what it looks like is not enough. Those details come later in math education. If the,hand is the direct link to the mind, how does this work? Isn't this skipping over a very important step?

It is no secret that I am not a fan, particularly in the 3-6 classroom. Many of my colleagues feel the same way. My school has chosen to be a leader in the technological developments. So,have some others. And yet our presenter has also commented that other Montessori schools were less than pleasant about the opportunity.

I realize that I do not have much of a choice but learn how to use it. I am hoping that someone can possibly convince me of the benefits, because I just haven't yet seen them.

2 comments:

  1. My child attends your school and I too would love to see the classrooms remain technology free. One example of a choice we made was not to purchase the montessiorium apps for our iPad. One basis for this decision is that we want our child to experience sand paper letters and the texture, not manipulate graphical representations of the sand paper letters on a smooth screen. The school is lucky to have grant I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have to use it? I mean, is anyone checking?.... :)

    ReplyDelete