Sunday, August 26, 2012

The last day of summer vacation

I have to admit that I am a little sad today. It's the last day of summer vacation. Yes, tomorrow I have to get up at the crack of dawn to go into school. Okay, so somewhere between 6 and 6:30. I am *NOT* a morning person. I have just spent the past 2 1/2 months blissfully sleeping in until 9ish and not having to hurry to get anywhere. I shall miss it. A lot.

Don't get me wrong. I am excited to see the kids. I know that this year's group is going to keep me on my toes. One of my Ks learned how to do the Division Board last year, by observing one lesson I did with an older child. He hadn't even yet done the Hundred Board. He will also probably be reading chapter books. I love these kinds of challenges, because I am forced to get creative with the materials and learning opportunities.

Then there are the younger kids. One of them isn't quite yet 3 and doesn't speak. I know him and his family quite well. It will be fun to try to coax the words out of him. I know they're in there.

As I have mentioned off and on through the summer, and more via the Facebook page than anything else, I have found a lot of fun things this summer. I need to remember to post more of those over the next few days. I will also try to share with you the setting up of the classroom this week.

So, how did I spend my last day of freedom? I woke up with a sinus migraine, thanks to allergies. Medication and a fabulous Greek breakfast with lots of coffee helped to make some of that go away. Then, I went to the grocery store. I am determined to be better this year about bringing my own lunch and making healthier choices. Yes, I say this every single year. I mean it this time. Honest. :-P

I was happy to see that Gladware was on sale. I stocked up on a wide variety of sizes and purchased a bunch of food for the week. The plan was to wash all of the dishes and start packing up some yummies within them. I have gotten some of that done. I just have to wait for them to finish drying.

Oh yeah, I also found some nifty baking supplies. This cake pop/donut hole maker and mini cupcake maker were both on clearance. I think they will be fun to use with the kids.



After that, I pretty much just worked on getting blogs ready and making sure some laundry is done. I have also been putting together the things I need to take in tomorrow. I don't know how I am going to maintain my book reviewing during the school year, but I am going to try!

I should have sat outside today. I just didn't have it in me with the high pollen counts and already irritated eyes from allergies. Maybe I will go for a walk tomorrow after working in the classroom. We shall see what the weather is like and how I am feeling after getting up at such an ungodly hour.

What do you do before school starts?

No comments:

Post a Comment