Saturday, April 28, 2012

Montessori A to Z: K is for Knowledge

In Montessori, we arm the children with knowledge. We feed their sensitive periods to satisfy their cravings, yet keep them wanting more. We teach them how to find information for themselves, so that they can independently continue their quest for knowledge. It is something that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.

I know that Montessori is responsible for my continued self-directed learning, even as an adult. If there is a topic I want to better understand, I research it on my own. I exhaust all resources, both online and offline, until I feel satisfied with my newly acquired knowledge. I try it on for size in the real world, as practicing something helps it to become a part of you. I will never tire of teaching myself.

I think to be a good Montessori educator, you need to continually arm yourself with knowledge. Every school year, we get new students who present a new set of challenges. We have to continue to learn how to work with issues like sensory processing disorder or reading difficulties. We need to revisit the words of Maria Montessori to remind ourselves why we do what we do and how we should be doing it. We need to keep learning more about the topics we teach the children. Someone always has a question to be answered and we want to provide accurate information. Plus, demonstrating the hunt for knowledge to your students will often inspire them to maintain their quest, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment